The Athens County Auditor is the Chief Fiscal Officer of the County and serves as the statutory fiscal agent for several County Agencies. It is the Auditor’s responsibility for the following:
• To account for the millions of dollars received each year by the County
• To issue warrants (checks) in payment of all County obligations
• To serve as the paymaster for all County employees
• To distribute tax dollars to townships, villages, cities, school districts, library systems and other county agencies.
• To distribute motor vehicle license fees, gasoline taxes, estate taxes, fines and local government funds
• To prepare the County's annual financial report.
The Accounting Department of the Auditor's Office is the watchdog over all county funds and maintains the official records of all receipts, disbursements and fund balances. It is responsible for the processing of all non-payroll obligations of the County and its agencies. Some of the responsibilities of the Accounting Department include:
• Processing of vouchers/invoices
• Approval of purchase order request
• Budgetary Compliance
• Vendor maintenance
• Distribution of all taxes and local government and local government revenue assistance
• Payment of all general obligation debt of the County
• Financial reporting of the County and all County agencies
• Filing of all required tax forms and processing of 1099's
The Payroll Department of the Auditor’s Office is responsible for the processing of payroll for over 600 employees. Some of the responsibilities of the Payroll Department include:
• Processing of employee pay through direct deposit bi-weekly
• Report and pay all necessary payroll withholdings in a timely manner
• Maintain all current and prior payroll files
• File all required tax forms and process W-2's
• Process Benefit Deductions such as Health Benefits, Life Insurance and Deferred Compensation Plans.
A Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) is prepared by the Accounting division and each year is published and submitted to the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for award consideration of the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting. The GFOA has awarded the Clermont County Auditor’s office this award every year since 1988.
Download the latest CAFR
Download the latest PAFR