Press Releases: **New Releases**
Athens County Data Board to Meet
Athens, OH, September 10, 2021: The Athens County Data Processing Board will meet on Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 8:30 a.m. in the County Auditor’s Conference Room, First Floor, Annex Building.
Athens County Auditor Receives Award
Athens, OH, June 15, 2021: The Athens County Auditor's Office recevied an award of Outstanding Achievement in Popular Annual Financial Reporting (PAFR) for fiscal year 2019.
Tax Relief Available for Damage resulting from Wind and Storms
Ohio law provides for a reduction of taxable value for property owners when damage has occurred.
In the wake of the recent storms and wind, Auditor Jill Thompson alerts property owners of real estate and manufactured homes that they may claim a reduction in the taxable value of their property for any damage that has occurred.
- Property owners must file an application with the county auditor timely
- The amount of the reduction is prorated based on the calendar quarter in which the damage occurred
- Even when the damage is repaired promptly, property owners should take pictures of the damage and file them with the notarized application
Auditor Thompson noted, "With the wind damage and storms that occurred recently, property owners deserve the relief that this law provides. My staff will be available to assist applicants in completing the form properly so they can get the reduction they are entitled to."
Applications can be downloaded from Auditor Thompson's website atwww.athenscountyauditor.org or can be mailed by calling 740-592-3223.
- Form DTE 26 – Application for Valuation Deduction for Destroyed or Damaged Real Property
- Form DTE 49 – Application for Tax Refund or Waiver for Destroyed or Damaged Manufactured Homes