Q: How do I change my property location address?
A: Please contact the 911 non-Emergency office at (740) 592-3272 and request an address if you do not have one. Once you have an address you can contact our office at 740-592-3223 and request to have it changed.

Q: How do I change my tax mailing address?
A: You can contact the Athens County Treasurer's office at (740) 592-3231 and request to have it changed.




Q: How do I report a building that has been torn down, destroyed by fire or other natural disaster?
A: Go to the Real Estate Forms page on our website and locate DTE 26 - Application for Valuation Deduction for Destoryed or Damaged Real Property form.  Complete the form for Destroyed Property and turn it in to our office. The percentage of deduction is determined by the calendar quarter in which the damage occurred. If you have any questions, please call our office at (740) 592-3223.


Q: How do I challenge my property valuation?
A: You can file an appeal with the Athens County Board of Revision. The form and additional rules are available on our website under Board of Revision. The filing period annually is January 1st to March 31st. You can contact the Athens County Auditor’s office at 740-592-3223 if you need any assistance.



Q: How do I get a copy of my deed?
A: You can get a copy of your deed from either the Recorders Document Search or by calling the Recorders Office at 740-592-3228.



Q: What is the due date for the real estate taxes?
A: Tax bills are mailed and collected by the Athens County Treasurer's Office. Tax Bills are typically due in March and August but Athens County does not have set due dates. The Athens County Treasurer's Office can be reached at 740-592-3231.



Q: Where do I find foreclosure sale information?
A: Contact the Athens County Sheriff’s Office at (740) 566-4381 or vist their website.




Q: Where do I find history of my property tax amounts?

A: Search for your property by name, address or parcel number. Examples are provided of how to use each search method. You will find historical tax information under the Tax History tab. If you have any questions, please call the Athens County Tresurer's Office at (740) 592-3231.




Q: How do I know if I qualify for CAUV (Current Agricultural Use Valuation)?
A: The CAUV program provides tax relief in the form of property value reductions on farmland of ten acres or more devoted exclusively to agricultural use or for timberlands. The program also is available for tracts of land that are less than ten acres if the average yearly gross farm income for the past three years is at least $2,500 from agricultural products. If you have any questions please call our office at 740-592-3223.

Q: How do I know if I qualify for the Homestead Credit?
A: The Homestead Program is designed to provide tax credit relief to citizens who are at least 65 years of age or permanently and totally disabled. To qualify for Homestead Exemption the following criteria must be met: 1. You must be at least 65 years old during the year in which you are applying, or be permanently and totally disabled, or be a surviving spouse of a person who was receiving the Homestead reduction at the time of death and where the surviving spouse was at least 59 years old on the date of death. Disabled applicants must include a Certificate of Disability form (DTE 105E) signed by a doctor or State or Federal agency or have an awards letter from the Social Security Office. 2. You must own and occupy your home as your principal place of residence as of January 1st of the year in which you are applying. 3. Beginning January 1, 2014 new applicants have to show they have an annual Ohio adjusted gross income less than $32,200 for Tax Year 2017 to qualify for exemption. To apply- complete the Homestead Application and mail to our office. If the property is in a trust, a copy of the trust agreement must accompany the application. Application must be filed by December 31st. Applications can be mailed to: Athens County Auditor’s Office 15 S. Court Street Athens, Oh 45701. If you have any questions please call our office at 740-592-3223.
With the passage of HB 85, military veterans who are 100 percent disabled from a service related disability are now eligible for an increased homestead exemption from $25,000 to $50,000. Applicants must complete the Homestead Exemption Application for Disabled Veterans and Surviving Spouses (DTE 105I) to receive this exemption.

Q: How do I know if I qualify for the Owner Occupancy Tax Reduction?
A: Every property owner that resides in their home is eligible for the Owner Occupancy Tax Reduction on their property tax bill. You must own and occupy your home as your principal place of residence (domicile) on January 1 of the year you file for the reduction. A homeowner and spouse are entitled to this tax reduction on only one home in Ohio.